Pre-operative Physiotherapy is routinely used to enhance recovery from gynaecological surgery.
It is particularly important for women undergoing procedures for incontinence, prolapse repair and hysterectomy.
How a Women’s Health Physio Can Help:
Your recovery immediately post-operatively and in the weeks following surgery can be made more comfortable and less daunting with some simple strategies taught to you by a Physiotherapist. We know that your long-term outcomes from these surgeries can be affected by many factors such as:
- Straining to empty your bladder or bowel
- Returning to strenuous activities, heavy lifting, and high impact exercise too soon in your recovery
- Poor pelvic floor and abdominal muscle function
Sometimes women experience bladder leakage or painful sex following their operation, and Physiotherapy treatment can help with these problems too.
What to expect:
The goal of Physiotherapy is to optimise your post-operative recovery and enhance your long-term outcomes – we want to make sure your surgery is as effective as possible!
- We know that many women cannot contract their pelvic floor muscles correctly after verbal or written instruction alone, instead benefitting from an individualised assessment with a Physiotherapist trained in pelvic floor assessment.
- We aim to improve your bladder and bowel function pre-operatively and also provide tips to prevent problems emptying your bladder and bowel after your surgery.
- We provide advice on moving comfortably early in your recovery period, including how to safely move in and out of bed to prevent complications such as chest infections and circulatory problems.
- We understand that knowing when to return to what activity can be difficult to decipher by yourself after your surgery.
Your Physiotherapist will guide you through the process, individualising your return to daily activities and general fitness level based on guidelines and key assessment findings, particularly in regards to your pelvic floor and abdominal muscle function.
Pre-operative Physiotherapy consults require a longer booking to ensure we can undertake a thorough assessment and provide the education required in the lead up to your surgery.
The Next Step:
Book in with one of our women’s health physiotherapists at the following locations:
- O&G, 69 Barnard Street, North Adelaide, phone 1300 604 377
- myPhysioSA, 49 Portrush Road, Payneham, phone 1300 189 289
- Summit Health, 85 Wellington Road, Mt Barker, phone 1300 189 289
We are also available to assist with your post-operative recovery, and encourage all women to see a Physiotherapist at 6 -8 weeks post surgery to monitor your progress and guide you through the return to your previous activities and fitness level.
Kate Goode, myPhysioSA for Her Partner Physiotherapist & Clinical Director