myCore Physio Classes
Through myCore Physio classes our patients are reporting improved feelings of tightness, less pain and enhanced function
The classes include functional exercises, which are tailored to your individual needs. Our expert physiotherapists run the classes and know how the body should move. They will help you retrain dysfunctional movement patterns to ensure you are strengthening the right muscles and preventing injuries.
The aims of the classes are to get you moving better and feeling great, but to break this down the components we focus on are:
• Improving body awareness and dissociation of how your body connects. This includes your pelvis and back, as decreased mobility between these parts of your body can contribute to your lower back pain. The better you can articulate moving your body, they better you are at controlling it and reducing injuries.
• Increasing flexibility, to reduce tightness of your muscles and also the network of nerves throughout your body, as reduced mobility of these can cause aches and pains.
• Body awareness, this includes your ability to appreciate any unnecessary tension being held in your muscles. Tension in your body can lead to bad movement patterns and pain. Through the classes your physiotherapist will help break this down, retrain dysfunctional movements and get you moving better.
• Targeted functional strengthening, during the class you predominately use your own body weight with other small equipment. It isn’t about how much you can lift or how many exercises you can do. The importance is on how well you can control your muscles with correct technique. There is particular emphasis on your core postural muscles to improve their strength throughout movement, which is what you need for everyday tasks. This will achieve maximal strength outcomes of the target muscle groups as they functionally work. Which benefits your ability to work efficiently and prevent muscle overload and injury.
• Successful breathing patterns, is the most underrated strategy that our body has to help optimise movement and tension in our body. It is about how your physiology works, as different breathing techniques facilitate relaxation of different muscles. For example when you belly breathe your abdominal, back and pelvis muscles relax and stretch, however if you are doing core exercises you will not achieve the best strengthening outcomes breathing that way. The physiotherapist running the class will guide you through the appropriate breathing technique to facilitate optimal movement patterns and strength for each exercise.
• Improving balance, focusing on improving your proprioception. Proprioception is our body’s appreciation of where it is in space. This essentially means being able to react to different challenges in your environment quickly and utilising the right movement strategies to keep you safe and moving efficiently.
Through the classes we challenge your ability of your muscles to stay in control, which improves your balance and stability.
The classes are appropriate for all ages and genders and everyone is welcome.
As physiotherapists we are specialists at assessment and diagnosis of injuries.
So do not be put off if you have a current injury, we can tailor the exercises to your individual needs and get you back to what you love doing quicker.
Motion is lotion, and why not get started today and join myPhysioSA’s myCore classes.
Written by Physio Lauren Mutton.
Lauren teaches myCore Physio classes at our Payneham clinic in Adelaide.