Offering supervised exercise therapy in heated pools in Adelaide and Mount Barker
If you have pain and limited movement then starting hydrotherapy classes are a great way to get moving and strengthen again. Enjoy the warm supportive water combined with guidance by one of our fully trained aquatic Physiotherapists.
Hydrotherapy is very useful post-operatively for ankle/foot, knee, hip and low back surgery, along with shoulder and elbow surgeries.
If you suffer from arthritis or other mobility issues then the freedom and warmth that water gives is exactly what you need to loosen your muscles and joints.
How can hydrotherapy classes assist your rehabilitation from surgery?
- The buoyancy helps to alleviate the strain on your joints including the cartilage and soft tissues structures. This effectively alleviates pain, permitting greater range in the water. It enables exercise of the muscles around the joint, relatively pain free.
- The warmth of the water additionally facilitates increased range of motion as the muscles relax and can lengthen easier.
- Rehabilitation prior to an operation has been shown to have significantly better outcomes functionally and pain responses post-op. This is why it is important to start rehabilitation 6 weeks or more before to strengthen the muscles around the joints. Through exercising it reinforces the strength and stability of the joint, prevents muscle wastage and also eases the transition post operation into rehabilitation.
- You may be wondering how water can provide strengthening benefits? Well have you ever thought how difficulty it is wadding through water at the beach? It is the resistance of the water providing this increased exertion.
- Additionally we utilise flotation devices or paddles to provide resistance or assist in further alleviating the load on a painful area.
Please call myPhysioSA on 1300 189 289 to book or for more information on our hydrotherapy classes.